Monday, July 17, 2006

Girls night and two summits

Well, this weekend was fun. Because Julian went to the snow craft course as an instructor I was on my own. When I heard that Jörg is having a concert on Saturday evening and Sandra wouldn't give him company we decided to have a girls night. Well as spontaneous not too many girls that I know had time but Sylvia came around and brought chocolate cake and three more girls with her. And we watched "playing by heart" a really good chick flick on the big screen using Julian’s projector. That was a nice evening with a lot of gossip and other girls talk after the movie.

Julian called in the evening to tell us not to go on purple hill due to snow conditions but change plans and go to helicopter hill. Good that Sylvia could tell me how to get there as Julian forgot and I forgot to ask. ;-)

We parked the car at the day shelter, walked along the gravel road to the upper end and followed the loop.















The next morning I overslept because of the stupid pm and am thing on the alarm clock. *grrr
However I managed to get changed and packed still on time and didn't forget too many crucial things for the tramp.
But my sunglasses for example.

So we went to helicopter hill. A real small nice and easy hill.

This is everyone at the start at the day shelter.
This tramp would have been a good tramp when I newly arrived in NZ instead of those hideous ones I did... Anyway to get to helicopter hill summit there is a nice first half of a loop to a saddle, which took us not longer than an hour, or so and then 45 minutes to get to the summit of helicopter hill. Great lunch spot with a 360° view. It's time I get a new camera. From helicopter hill and on the map we could see another summit that we could get to starting from the saddle. I found some keep people who would join me to get up to that summit. Helicopter hill didn't really feel like a summit to us. The others stayed in the sun on helicopter hill. We were really lucky that there was no wind and the people staying behind had it warm in the sun on the summit and lots of fun with snow fights, building snow mans, snow angels...


a pitty but so far I only got the pictures of Fernando (Thank you Fernando) Who stayed on helicopter hill while we went up namles summit.



Anyway 6 of us started. Two turned around because one was not experienced in snow and the other was her partner. One crazy French guy shot up in front of us picking a really dodgy route and two girls and me fought our way up. Me in the front, kicking steps. Puh, only in the end one of the other girls did some step kicking. I had completely forgotten how relaxing it is to use steps that someone else had kicked already. But the two girls weren't too experienced so I took over after a while again in total it took us about 1 ½ or two hours to get to the summit. Finally we arrived at the Summit where the French was patiently waiting for us. Telling me he'd never done such a steep thing before. Great those Mountain goats from France that grow up at Chamonix never done such a steep thing before. No wonder he was picking crazy routes. But still fit like hell.
(That's us on the second summit seen from the the snowman build by Jorg. =)

Anyway the way down never takes really long on snow especially if you’re a crazy French bum sliding all the way down. The three chickens, (us girls) we preferred walking and being safe. We met the others at the saddle to go back to the car, which took us about 1 or 2 hours. So without the second summit which was quite a fight in those snow conditions I wouldn’t have called that a tramp. Anyway finishing that great Weekend with a steak at the pub was just right. =)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool pics! I'm quite a bit jealous of all the snow up there. WIll take a while till I can crawl through snow the next time...
Have fun!!!
Love Tini

July 17, 2006 4:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home